Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Radio Reading Service
Do you know someone who has trouble seeing or reading words? Difficulty turning pages? RADIO READING SERVICE can help! | Donate to RRS Here
WHAT IS WKAR RADIO READING SERVICE (RRS)?
Since 1973, WKAR Radio Reading Service has offered a 24/7 free reading service to individuals who cannot access traditional reading materials due to visual, physical or cognitive conditions.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
WKAR loans qualified listeners a special portable radio free of charge. The pre-tuned radio includes the Radio Reading Service signal and 90.5 WKAR. You can listen within a 60-mile radius of WKAR’s Okemos/Meridian Township broadcasting tower or on your computer at WKAR.org through a variety of streaming applications.
HOW TO QUALIFY
Participants must meet at least one of these qualifications:
- Trouble reading or using printed materials as a result of a visual, physical or cognitive condition
- Macular degeneration, glaucoma, retinitis pigmentosa or dyslexia
RRS CONTENT INCLUDES:
- Three Michigan and two national newspapers
- Local, state, national and international news and features
- Weather forecasts and alerts
- Best-selling novels
- Grocery and department store ads
- Community calendar events
- And more!
HOW IS RADIO READING SERVICE FUNDED?
It costs WKAR approximately $120 per RRS listener each year to provide this service. Radio Reading Service is funded by individual contributions and support from community organizations.
WKAR welcomes your volunteer support. Join more than 100 volunteers who read live and recorded material on the air. The commitment is one hour per week.
FOR APPLICATION, MORE INFORMATION OR TO VOLUNTEER CONTACT:
Phone: (517) 884-4746
TO CONTRIBUTE TO RADIO READING SERVICE:
Donate to RRS Here
Call: (517) 884-4747