MENOMINEE, MI –
U.S. Rep. Bart Stupak says he won't seek the Democratic nomination for Michigan governor this year.
The congressman from Menominee made the announcement in a written statement released Tuesday morning.
Presumptive Democratic front-runner Lt. Gov. John Cherry withdrew his name earlier this month, opening up the race and drawing the attention of Democrats such as Stupak, House Speaker Andy Dillon, businesswoman and University of Michigan Regent Denise Ilitch, Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero and former state treasurer Robert Bowman.
Stupak says in the statement he believes he "can best serve the people of Michigan in the U.S. Congress."
He says he'll run for re-election for the 1st congressional district seat he has held since 1993.