Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri October 30, 2009
Southside Community Center opens to the public
By Rob South, WKAR News
LANSING, MI – The city of Lansing held an open house last night for the new southside Community Center in the former Harry Hill High School. The city has been talking about putting a community center on the southside for nearly two decades.
City Council President Derrick Quinney was on the search committee that chose the school. He also was in the first graduating class from Harry Hill in 1973. Quinney says the city invested two-point-two million dollars fixing up the building which includes a pool, gym and auditorium.
The Lansing Public Schools is leasing the center to the city for one dollar a year.