Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Tue November 20, 2012
Some On Lansing Council Displeased with Mayor's Unannounced Absence
Some Lansing city council members are upset over learning about Mayor Virg Bernero's trip to Italy after the fact.
Bernero left last Thursday on what is described as an economic mission. City Council President Brian Jeffries says few, if any, council members knew in advance about the 9-day trip. He says that's a particular problem in the event of a city emergency.
"There are processes that are in place that have to be activated, and that authority under the charter is delegated to the President when the Mayor is out of the country," he says. "It's concerning when, you know, we're not even at least given notice."
Jeffries says the issue needs to be addressed when the Mayor returns.