Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri May 25, 2012
Snyder Declares State of Disaster in 2 UP Counties
Gov. Rick Snyder has declared a state of disaster in the Upper Peninsula counties of Luce and Schoolcraft, where wildfires already have consumed more than 20,000 acres.
Snyder's declaration Friday means all state resources will be made available to protect public health and safety in the ongoing efforts to fight the wildfires.
The declaration also may permit authorities to evacuate and establishes a fireworks ban in the two affected counties as well as an outdoor burning ban in 49 counties.
Snyder also issued an executive order activating the National Guard to provide assistance.
The governor said in a statement his office is "committed to work together with local, state and federal emergency personnel to protect our citizens and communities from the dangers of these significant fires."