Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Sun June 21, 2009
Shock lose to Fever
AUBURN HILLS, MI – The Detroit Shock had a new coach and a returning All-Star, and it wasn't enough to beat the Indiana Fever.
Tamika Catchings scored 15 points Friday night and the Indiana Fever beat Detroit 66-54 in Rick Mahorn's debut as Shock coach.
"As a team, we anticipated an emotional game," said Katie Douglas, who added 13 points. "It's a big day for them having Mahorn Bill Laimbeer has been here for so long, that we knew they were going to come out with a lot of mixed emotions, and that we would have to weather the storm."
Mahorn took over as the defending champions' coach after Laimbeer's abrupt resignation earlier in the week. Laimbeer had won three championships in the last six seasons.
The Shock's next game is Friday, against the Atlanta Dream