Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
In Focus Today
Tue May 5, 2009
School closure is a tough blow for Lansing neighborhood
By Gretchen Millich, WKAR News
Lansing, MI – Lansing, MI (WKAR) - The Lansing School District will hold an informational meeting for parents at Grand River Elementary School tonight.
The district is closing Grand River and another elementary, Moores Park, in June. It's part of a plan to address declining enrollment, budget problems and aging school buildings in the district.
Parents, teachers and administrators fought to save Moores Park Elementary...and so did its neighbors.
As WKAR's Gretchen Millich reports, the closure of Moores Park Elementary marks the end of an era of community connection to the school.