Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed July 22, 2009
Ordonez grand slam helps Tigers beat Seattle
DETROIT – Magglio Ordonez hit a grand slam in a five-run first inning and the Detroit Tigers held on for a 9-7 win over the Seattle Mariners on Tuesday night.
Detroit scored just five runs while being swept in a three-game series at Yankee Stadium last weekend, but matched that total before making their first out against Seattle.
Rookie Rick Porcello (9-6) got the win despite allowing five runs on nine hits and a walk in five innings.
Tigers closer Fernando Rodney allowed the first two batters to reach in the ninth before retiring the next three for his 20th save in 20 tries.
Seattle starter Garrett Olson (3-4) took the loss, allowing seven runs in 1 1-3 innings.