Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu December 31, 2009
No. 11 Michigan State beats Texas-Arlington
EAST LANSING, MI – Durrell Summers and Draymond Green combined for 39 points to lead No. 11 Michigan State to an 87-68 victory over Texas-Arlington on Wednesday night.
Summers had 20 points, 13 in the first half, for the Spartans (10-3), while Green added 19 in a balanced attack in their final nonconference game.
But Michigan State coach Tom Izzo had to be happiest with the play of reigning Big Ten Player of the Year Kalin Lucas, who responded to a benching with 16 points.
Lucas was held out of practice Tuesday to spend some time thinking about his leadership role. He did that and played 29 minutes, as many as any Spartan.
Marquez Haynes, the nation's No 2 scorer, led the Mavericks (5-5) with 20 points, 5.2 under his average.