Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu November 22, 2012
MSU Chef Offers New Thanksgiving Menu Idea
For this Thanksgiving morning, WKAR’s Scott Pohl presented a challenge to the corporate chef for Michigan State University Culinary Services, Kurt Kwiatkowski.
Let’s do something different with one of the typical Thanksgiving dishes, with what is already at hand. No trip to the store required.
Kwiatkowski responded with a new approach to sweet potatoes: oven roasted rather than the overly candied style you might be used to on the holiday.
His sweet potato fries are different from those that have started turning up in restaurants. Here's the recipe, with photos:
Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
2# sweet potatoes
2 T. olive oil
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. cumin
½ t. chili powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper (more if you want them spicy)
Wash the potatoes and cut out bad spots.
Cut potatoes into 1/8's or 1/16's depending on potato size and how big of a piece you would like
Toss with oil, salt and seasonings.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
place on sheet tray and roast for 30-40 minutes turning once