Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
A Conversation with Former Governor, First Lady
Tue November 20, 2012
The Milliken Legacy
The Milliken Legacy airs Friday, November 23, at 9 p.m. on WKAR-TV.
WKAR broadcasts a conversation with former Governor William Milliken and Helen Milliken, recorded in 2006 with Tim Skubick at their Traverse City home. The Milliken Legacy offers insight into the couple's politics and personal views. Former Michigan First Lady Helen Milliken died on Friday, November 16 at the family home in Traverse City.
In a wide-ranging show, the couple discuss politics, the 2006 gubernatorial election and topics they found of importance such as environmental quality and how critical the city of Detroit was to the future of Michigan.
The First Lady was a key figure in supporting equal rights for women and a longtime advocate of the arts. She addresses these topics in the conversation with Skubick. They also discuss the price that the family made for Milliken's decision to lead a life in government.