Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Sat October 3, 2009
Michigan State defeats Michigan in overtime thriller
East Lansing, MI – For the first time in 42 years the Michigan State football program has defeated Michigan in two consecutive seasons after Saturdays 26-20 overtime victory. Spartan head coach; Mark Dantonio discusses the keys to the victory as well as what the win does for this program and its young players for the future.
Michigan State improves to 2-3 overall on the season and 1-1 in the Big Ten. Michigan falls from the unbeaten to 4-1 on the year and 1-1 in Big Ten Play.
The Spartan defense held Michigan to a total of 28 yards rushing while the green and white grinded out 197 yards on the ground, led by true freshmen Larry Caper who had two rushing touchdowns including the game winner in overtime.
MSU quarterback Kirk Cousins also had a solid day running the ball leading all players with 75 yards on 7 carries. Cousins and Kieth Nichol combined to go 20-29 for 220 yards in the air with two interceptions.
Up next the Spartans will travel to face Illinois