Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Radio Made in Michigan
Tue January 15, 2013
Michigan Democrats Give “Real State Of The State” Speech
The top Democrat in the state House says Governor Rick Snyder will be dishonest if he says the state is turning around during his State of the State address Wednesday night.
Michigan Public Radio’s Jake Neher has more.
After a year that saw state Republicans push through a right-to-work bill, an emergency manager re-write, and a number of other controversial measures, Democrats say the state is heading in the wrong direction.
House Minority Leader Tim Greimel made that clear during a speech he called “the real state of the state.”
“From our roads to our schools, from our workplaces to our homes, Michiganders are feeling the effects of this governor’s broken promises,” he says.
Greimel says the state has given too many breaks to corporations at the expense of middle-class families.
State Republicans call the message “insulting.” They say new policies are turning around the state’s economy.