Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed April 15, 2009
Mich. unemployment rate jumps to 12.6% in March
Lansing, MI – Lansing, MI (AP) - Michigan's unemployment rate jumped to 12.6% in March, up from 12% the month before.
The higher number is likely to keep Michigan in the spotlight as
the state with the nation's worst unemployment rate.
The national unemployment rate in March was 8.5%.
The state Department of Energy, Labor and Economic Development said Wednesday that the weakness in the auto industry along with the national recession have "severely affected" Michigan's labor market over the past year.
The state's unemployment rate has risen over the past year at a
faster pace than any twelve-month period since 1980.