Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed August 5, 2009
Matusz wins debut as Orioles beat Tigers 8-2
DETROIT – Brian Matusz and the Baltimore Orioles spoiled Jarrod Washburn's debut with the Detroit Tigers with an 8-2 win Tuesday night.
Cesar Izturis and Nick Markakis each homered, drove in three runs and had three hits for Baltimore. Izturis also made two outstanding defensive plays.
Matusz (1-0), the fourth pick overall in the 2008 draft, allowed a run and six hits in five innings in his debut. He walked three and striking out five.
He was 7-0 with a 1.55 ERA for Double-A Bowie before being recalled on Tuesday.
Washburn (8-7), who was acquired from Seattle on July 31 in a deal for pitchers Luke French and Mauricio Robles, gave up six runs and six hits in 5 1-3 innings.