Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Mon April 13, 2009
Mark "The Bird" Fidrych dies at 54
Boston, MA – Boston, MA (AP) - Former All-Star pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych has been found dead in an apparent accident at his farm in Northborough, Massachusetts. He was 54. Worcester County district attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. says a family friend found Fidrych about 2:30 p.m. Monday beneath a pickup truck. He appeared to be working on the truck, Early said. The colorful right-hander was the American League rookie of the year in 1976 when he went 19-9 with a 2.34 earned run average. He
spent all five of his major league seasons with the Detroit Tigers,
compiling a 29-19 record and a 3.10 ERA. His career was cut short by injuries.