Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Sat December 29, 2012
Legendary WKAR Sportscaster Jim Adams Dies
Jim Adams, WKAR's Sports Director from 1961 to 1993, has died at the age of 82.
A native of East Lansing, Adams first worked at WKAR as a Michigan State University student in 1948. He went on to serve in the Korean War, and after stints at stations in Kalamazoo and Waterloo, Iowa, he returned to WKAR to stay in 1961.
He retired in 1993.
His career spanned more than 1,500 play-by-play broadcasts. Adams had a well-earned reputation as a tremendous pre-game researcher.
Along with friend and colleague Earle Robinson, Adams was the founding host of WKAR-AM's sports call-in program.
In 1998, Adams was recognized with a Special Award from the Michigan Journalism Hall of Fame.
Adams was also a long-time host of Broadway music programming on WKAR.