In Michigan
6:18 pm
Mon February 8, 2010

Heavy snow could push some MI pupil head counts back

LANSING, MI –

Public school districts across Michigan can delay pivotal tallies of student enrollment if an expected heavy winter snowfall this week forces class cancellations.

Wednesday is the official Pupil Count Day. The Lansing State Journal reports that state education officials issued a memo Monday telling school districts they can conduct student counts the next scheduled day of classes.

The National Weather Service has called for up to nine inches of snow Tuesday and Wednesday across mid-Michigan.

Each district receives more than $7,300 in state aid per student, with Wednesday's scheduled count determining 25% of their funding from the state. September's student count determines the other 75%.