Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri August 28, 2009
Granholm gives state workers 30-day layoff notice
LANSING, MI – Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm has given state employee unions a required 30-day notice of layoffs in case a budget deal is not reached by Oct. 1.
The layoff notices were sent to the unions Friday.
Granholm spokeswoman Liz Boyd says the governor does not expect a government shutdown and plans to have a budget in place on time.
The 30-day notice is required under collective bargaining contracts because money has not been appropriated for the fiscal year that starts Oct. 1.
The Democratic governor and lawmakers so far have been unable to agree on how to fill a $2.8 billion deficit in the upcoming budget.