Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Tue December 6, 2011
Egypt And Tigerblood Top Twitter's List Of Hashtags This Year
Originally published on Tue December 6, 2011 12:38 pm
Yet another sign of the very diverse interests of the world's webizens:
Twitter says the top two hashtags this year have been #egypt and #tigerblood.
Egypt went to the top of words to search and post thanks to the Arab Spring and the uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak. As for No. 2, its popularity is all due to actor Charlie Sheen and his famous claim to have "tiger blood."
As for the other words, names and topics that Twitter says were hot this year, they include:
-- "Japan," because of the March earthquake and tsunami.
-- "Raid on Osama bin Laden."
-- "Elizabeth Taylor," who died in March.
-- "McLobster," because of rumors that McDonald's would sell a lobster sandwich across the U.S. It isn't going to.