Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Mon June 29, 2009
Zellous scores 18 as Shock get Mahorn first win
AUBURN HILLS, MI –
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) - The Detroit Shock got 18 points from Shavonte Zellous and posted an 86-72 victory over the Sacramento Monarchs.
Last night's win at The Palace was Rick Mahorn's first as a head coach. The Shock had gone 0-3 after Mahorn replaced Bill Laimbeer one game into the season.
Deanna Nolan had 14 points as Detroit (2-5) snapped a four-game losing streak.
Rebekkah Brunson scored 16 points for Sacramento (1-7), which lost its fifth straight.
Detroit took control by outscoring the Monarchs 23-11 in the second quarter to take a 47-28 halftime lead. The Shock outshot Sacramento 46 percent to 21 percent in the period.
The Monarchs pulled to 66-60 with 7:24 left but could get no closer.