Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed May 6, 2009
United Solar temporarily closing Mich. plants
Rochester Hills, MI – Rochester Hills, MI (AP) - United Solar Ovonic LLC is temporarily closing its solar panel production factories in Greenville and Auburn Hills.
Beginning May 17, workers at the two Greenville plants will be furloughed for four weeks while employees at a plant in Auburn Hills will be laid off for three weeks.
Grand Rapids TV station WZZM says the company is also offering voluntary severance packages.
Spokesman Mark Trinske tells The Grand Rapids Press that the installation of four new lines in Greenville and equipping and hiring for a new Battle Creek plant will be delayed until business picks up.
Trinske is quoted in The Daily News of Greenville as saying the
Rochester Hills-based company believes the projects will resume
when the economy improves.