Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed November 30, 2011
U.K. Expels Iranian Diplomats
Foreign Secretary William Hague told Parliament that "if any country makes it impossible for us to operate on their soil they cannot expect to have a functioning embassy here."
Iran has said only a small number of the protesters are to blame for the attack, and another on a second British diplomatic compound in Tehran, and claims that some of those individuals have been arrested.
But photos and reports from the scene showed that among those who ransacked the embassy, throwing stones and petrol bombs as they went, were members of the Basij militia, which often provides "a little bit of muscle" for the Iranian regime, as NPR's Steve Inskeep has reported.