Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu October 1, 2009
Twins beat Tigers 8-3 and avoid elimination
DETROIT, MI – Scott Baker had a strong start and got plenty of run support with a three-run third inning and a four-run eighth, helping the Twins beat the Detroit Tigers 8-3 Thursday to avoid elimination from playoff contention.
The AL Central-leading Tigers had a chance to clinch their first division title since 1987 in the finale of the four-game series, but their bats were quieted and their pitchers got roughed up.
The tightest race in baseball won't be decided until this weekend - or early next week if a tiebreaker is necessary.
If Detroit beats the Chicago White Sox twice at home, it will win the division. If not, the Tigers will need some help from the Kansas City Royals, who end the season at Minnesota.