Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed October 7, 2009
Tigers blow game, division against Twins
MINNEAPOLIS – Misplayed flyballs, poor baserunning, squandered at-bats.
The Detroit Tigers put a fitting end to a historic collapse by committing every blunder imaginable in a 6-5 loss to the Minnesota Twins on Tuesday that cost them their first division title since 1987.
The Tigers held a seven-game lead on the Twins on Sept. 6, but limped to an 11-16 finish that made them the first team since 1901 to miss out on the playoffs after holding a three-game lead with four to play.
They had countless chances - in the last month and in this one-game playoff for the AL Central crown - to put away the Twins and they blew every one of them.