Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri August 21, 2009
Tigers beat Mariners on Thomas' RBI single in 9th
DETROIT – Clete Thomas' two-out, RBI single capped a two-run rally in the ninth inning and lifted the Detroit Tigers to a 7-6 win Thursday over the Seattle Mariners.
The AL Central-leading Tigers trailed 6-2 before scoring three times in the sixth and two more in the final inning, setting off a celebration around Thomas at first base.
Bobby Seay (4-2) earned the win for pitching a scoreless inning, getting Jarrod Washburn off the hook after a poor performance against his former team.
David Aardsma (3-5) took the loss after giving walking pinch-hitter Carlos Guillen to begin the ninth, allowing Miguel Cabrera's double, Brandon Inge's tying sacrifice fly and Thomas' single to right on a full count.