Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thanks for a Great Evening!
Fri January 11, 2013
Susi's Station Notes: Soul Food Fascination!
Last night WKAR hosted another fantastic Community Cinema event featuring the Independent Lens film "Soul Food Junkies." I'd like to thank everyone who came out and participated in a fun and interesting discussion around food and culture.
I'd particularly like to thank our panel of guests: Andrea Collier, Lorraine Weatherspoon and Laura DeLind. They each brought an interesting perspective, including history, health and community.
The MSU Library also featured a display of their extensive Special Collection of rare cookbooks, including some on soul food. I encourage all of you to visit the Special Collection.
Additionally, panelist Andrea Collier recently interviewed the filmmaker, Byron Hurt, and you can find it right HERE.
We have some exciting news from WKAR Radio as well. Current State will premiere next Monday at 9 a.m. with Mark Bashore as host. We're all really excited about this show because it will bring you lots of daily information on a variety of subjects relevant to our community. Arts, politics, culture, sports, and current issues will all be on the table!