Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri August 24, 2012
Supreme Court Decision Helps Pro-Casino Campaign
A group seeking to expand the number of casinos in Michigan has won a big victory at the state Supreme Court.
The court on Friday overturned a decision that had barred the secretary of state from putting the question on the fall ballot. The justices unanimously said the appeals court applied the wrong law.
A group called Citizens for More Michigan Jobs seeks a constitutional amendment that would allow a fourth casino in Detroit and seven others across the state.
It's not immediately clear whether the decision guarantees placement on the fall ballot or whether opponents could try to stop it in other ways.