Most Active Stories
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
Sat September 5, 2009
Spartans victorious in opening game
East Lansing, MI – In front of the second largest opening game crowd in Spartan Stadium history, Michigan State opened up their season in grand fashion with a 44-3 victory over Montana State.
Starting quarterback Kirk Cousins was very productive going 10-17 for 183 yards and 3 touchdowns. Back up for this game Kieth Nichol made his presence felt as well going 9-18 for 135 yards and 2 touchdowns.
Senior Blair White led the receiving corp with 9 receptions for 162 yards and 2 touchdowns. Freshmen Carlton Ray with 12 rushes for 71 yards led all rushers.
Preseason game Big Ten defensive player of the year Greg Jones led the green and white on the defensive side of the ball with 14 tackles giving him his eighth consecutive game with double digit tackles dating back last season.
Third year coach Mark Dantonio who now improves to 2-1 in opening games leading the Spartans was pleased with his teams effort and execution in all three fazes of the game.
MSU will now look to build off this victory as they prepare to host Central Michigan next Saturday