Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri April 17, 2009
School Board tables vote on closings
By Gretchen Millich, WKAR Radio News
Lansing, MI – Lansing, MI -- The Lansing School Board Thursday night postponed a controverisal decision on whether to close two elementary schools.
The recommendation by school superintendent T. C. Wallace at first appeared to be headed for defeat.
A majority of board members indicated while they were not against closing schools, they would need more information before voting to shut down Moores Park and Grand River Elementary schools.
That drew cheers from a crowd of parents, teachers and others who objected to the closings.
But, instead, the board voted to table the decision.
School Board President Hugh Clarke Junior says he'll schedule a meeting within the next week.
He says board members need to make a decision by May 1.