Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri September 11, 2009
Royals beat Tigers 7-4 for 3-game sweep
KANSAS CITY, MO – Alex Gordon and Alberto Callaspo homered, leading the last-place Kansas City Royals past the Detroit Tigers 7-4 on Thursday for a surprising three-game sweep of the AL
It was the first three-game sweep of an American League team at home this season for the Royals. They've won four straight overall for the first time since June 12-16.
Zach Miner (6-5) gave up three runs and five hits in relief for the Tigers, who rolled into town Tuesday on a six-game winning streak, fresh off a three-game sweep at Tampa Bay.
Not only had the Royals dropped four straight, they were missing injured pitchers Gil Meche and Brian Bannister and had lost 24 of their last 33 to Detroit at home.