Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Mon March 30, 2009
Rep. Hoekstra announces candidacy for MI governor
By Laura Weber, Michigan Public Radio Network
East Lansing, MI – East Lansing, MI (MPRN) - U.S. Representative Pete Hoekstra announced Monday he will run for governor of Michigan in 2010.
Michigan Pubic Radio's Laura Weber has this report.
The Republican congressman distanced himself from the unpopular tenure of President Bush.
Hoekstra says he was not well liked by the administration after trying to gut the president's "No Child Left Behind" legislation.
Hoekstra says he's a maverick within the G-O-P.
Hoekstra stressed his pro-business stance to turn the state around.
He says the state and its industries have relied too heavily on money from the federal government.