Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri July 10, 2009
Pistons pick John Kuester as new coach
AUBURN HILLS, MI – The Detroit Pistons have picked Cavaliers assistant John Kuester as their new head coach.
Kuester was on Larry Brown's NBA championship-winning staff in Detroit five years ago.
Pistons president for basketball operations Joe Dumars fired rookie coach Michael Curry on June 30. Curry led Detroit to a 39-43 regular-season record and a first-round playoff loss to Cleveland.
Kuester is the team's sixth head coach in the past 10 years. He has worked in the NBA since 1990, including 13 years as an assistant. After his earlier stint in Detroit, he spent the last two years in Cleveland.
Before that, Kuester replaced Rick Pitino at Boston University in 1983 and later spent five seasons coaching George Washington.