Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu April 9, 2009
Patterson drops out of Gov race
By Steve Carmody, Michigan Public Radio Network
Ann Arbor, MI – Ann Arbor, MI (MPRN) - The 2010 race for Michigan governor is barely underway and a leading
candidate says he has decided not to run.
Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson announced Thursday that
he will sit out the race.
He says he can't set aside his responsibilities as county
executive to mount a statewide campaign.
Bill Ballenger is the editor of Inside Michigan Politics. He says Patterson was a definite contender for the GOP nomination.
Patterson's departure leaves several leading Republicans in the race, most notably Congressman Pete Hoekstra, State Attorney General Mike Cox, and Secretary of State Terry Lynn Land.
Lt. Governor John Cherry is expected to be the Democratic nominee for governor in 2010.