Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Tue January 12, 2010
Okemos teacher is finalist for national Teacher of the Year
By Laura Weber, Michigan Public Radio Network
LANSING, MI –
A third grade teacher from Okemos Public Schools is a finalist for the National Teacher of the Year award.
Rob Stephenson is one of four finalists for the award. As Michigan's Teacher of the Year, Stephenson has a seat on the state Board of Education. State schools Superintendent Michael Flanagan says the state's best teachers play an important part at board meetings.
"They really give invaluable perspectives at this table on a regular basis, and I think have changed policy because of their perspectives often," he says.
President Obama is expected to recognize the winner of the national award in April.