Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu March 14, 2013
Nominee: Detroit Fix 'Olympics Of Restructuring'
The governor's nominee to become Detroit's emergency financial manager says the job is the "Olympics of restructuring" but he feels compelled to take it on.
Michigan Governor Rick Snyder announced Thursday that he's recommending that a state panel name bankruptcy expert Kevyn Orr to the job of restructuring Detroit's finances and bringing its budget back into balance.
A state panel is expected to consider the nomination Thursday afternoon.Orr says Detroit is a "storied American city" that can "rise from the ashes."
Orr says he's met with Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and says the city's elected leader is "willing to be part of the solution."
He says he hopes the City Council also will work with him.
Orr represented the automaker Chrysler during its successful restructuring.