Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu April 23, 2009
No downtime this summer for GM Delta plant
By Gretchen Millich, WKAR Radio News
East Lansing, MI – Gretchen Millich, WKAR Radio News
Workers at G-M's Delta Township factory will not experience any layoffs this summer.
But at Lansing's Grand River plant, workers there will have four extra weeks of downtime, in addition to the usual 2-week changeover in July.
General Motors is temporarily shutting down 13 factories in the U-S and Mexico this summer.
The company wants to control high dealer inventories and bring production in line with sales.
Brian Fredline is president of UAW Local 602, which represents auto workers at the Delta Township plant.
Fredline says the cars produced at the Delta Township plant are still in demand.
Workers at the Delta Township plant make the GMC Acadia, the Saturn Outlook and the Buick Enclave.