Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu January 14, 2010
No. 7 Michigan State holds off Minnesota 60-53
EAST LANSING, MI – Durrell Summers scored all but one of his 13 points in the first half and Kalin Lucas had 11 of his 14 in the second, helping No. 7 Michigan State hold off Minnesota for a 60-53 win on Wednesday night.
The Spartans (14-3, 4-0 Big Ten) moved into a first-place tie with Illinois in the conference and will host the Fighting Illini on Saturday.
Lawrence Westbrook had 15 points and Damian Johnson scored 14 for the Golden Gophers (12-5, 3-2).
Michigan State built some double-digit leads early in the second half, but Westbrook scored 10 straight points to give Minnesota comeback hopes. The Gophers pulled within three with 3 minutes to go when Ralph Sampson III tipped in a putback, then the Spartans made the shots and stops to seal the win.