Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed December 2, 2009
No. 10 Tar Heels beat No. 9 Spartans 89-82
CHAPEL HILL, NC – Ed Davis scored a career-high 22 points Tuesday night to help No. 10 North Carolina beat No. 9 Michigan State 89-82 in a rematch of last season's national championship
game won by the Tar Heels.
Larry Drew II had a career-best with 18 points for the Tar Heels (7-1), who led most of the game before having to hold off a rally in the final minutes. North Carolina shot 58 percent and led by as many as 19 points early in the second half, beating Michigan State (5-2) for the second straight year in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
Raymar Morgan scored 18 points to lead the Spartans, who were 2 of 20 from 3-point range.
The teams met twice last season at Detroit's Ford Field, with North Carolina beating Michigan State by 35 points in the first meeting followed by an 89-72 win in April for the program's fifth NCAA championship.