Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri November 6, 2009
MSU freshmen hockey forward Derek Grant named National Rookie of the Month
East Lansing, MI – The Michigan State hockey team is off to an impressive 6-2 start to the season. One of the many reasons why is freshman forward Derek Grant. The 6'3 185lb forward out of Abbotsford British Columbia, began the season on a six game scoring streak and currently ranks first amongst CCHA freshmen in points with 11 (5 goals and 6 assists)
Grant was drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the fourth round of the 2008 NHL draft.
The freshmen forward was named CCHA rookie of the week when he registered 2 goals and 2 assists in the sweep of Clarkston to open up the season.