Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri May 15, 2009
Michigan schedules 6 furlough days for this summer
Lansing, MI – Lansing, MI (AP)
Michigan plans to schedule the bulk of its six upcoming unpaid furlough days for most state employees on Fridays in June, July, August and September. That is expected to close many state offices on those days except for essential services.
The state says Friday that where "administratively feasible" the furlough days will be June 19, July 6, July 24, August 7, August 21 and September 4.
State troopers, most Unemployment Insurance Agency staff, some health care staff and corrections officers are among those not subject to furlough.
The moves are expected to save the state nearly $22 million this
fiscal year. It's part of a plan to eliminate a projected $1.3