Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri July 24, 2009
Mich. state government has 3rd unpaid furlough day
LANSING, MI – It's the third of the state's six scheduled unpaid furlough days for most employees. State government will run much like it does on a public holiday.
Among those services that should continue without interruption are Michigan State Police road patrols, prisons, state psychiatric hospitals and emergency human services programs. Unemployment office call centers and problem resolution offices will be open.
Secretary of State and general state offices will be closed.
Upcoming furlough days are Aug. 7, Aug. 21 and Sept. 4. About 37,400 state employees are affected.
The furlough days are an effort to cut about $22 million from the budget.