Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu October 25, 2012
Mich. Reports 2nd Straight Big Jobless Rate Drop
Michigan is reporting a second straight big drop in unemployment, with the rate down 2.1 percentage points in two months.
The Department of Technology, Management & Budget said Thursday that Michigan's seasonally unadjusted unemployment rate stood at 8.2% in September, down from 9.2% in August and 10.3% in July. The rate was 9.8% in September 2011.
The department says joblessness fell in all 17 of Michigan's major labor markets. It says the main reason was a shrinkage in the size of the labor force, down 36,000 since August.
The Detroit labor market's jobless rate fell to 10% in September, down from 10.9% in August. In the Grand Rapids area, joblessness fell to 6% from 6.9%