Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed April 24, 2013
Live From Lincoln Center: Carousel
Friday, April 26, 9 p.m.
Live from Lincoln Center presents the New York Philharmonic's production of Rodgers & Hammerstein's iconic American musical, Carousel, featuring a star-studded cast including Kelli O'Hara, Nathan Gunn, Stephanie Blythe, Shuler Hensley, Jason Danieley, Jessie Mueller, Kate Burton, John Cullum and New York City Ballet dancers Robert Fairchild and Tiler Peck.
Now a beloved classic, Carousel -- with music by Richard Rodgers and book and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II -- was hailed by Time magazine as the "best musical of the 20th century."
Based on Hungarian playwright Ferenc Molnar's 1909 play Liliom, the music transfers the story from Europe to the Maine coastline and revolves around the tragic romance between carousel barker Billy Bigelow and mill worker Julie Jordan.
The musical includes such highlights as "You'll Never Walk Alone," "June Is Bustin' Out All Over" and "If I Loved You."