Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Mon September 7, 2009
Librarians to rally against Granholm plan Thursday
LANSING, MI – Librarians opposed to Gov. Jennifer Granholm's plan to dismantle the Michigan Department of History, Arts and Libraries will rally Thursday near the state Capitol in Lansing on the eve of a deadline to kill the measure.
They tell The Grand Rapids Press that dispersing the department's functions among a half-dozen other state agencies makes questionable financial sense while dealing a heavy blow to invaluable public resources.
Grand Rapids Public Library Director Marcia Warner says the moves would create lots of new expenses.
Granholm's executive order takes effect Oct. 1 unless the Democrat-led House rejects it by Friday.