Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Tue May 29, 2012
LBWL “Tops Out” New REO Town Plant
The Lansing Board of Water and Light is celebrating an early milestone in the construction of its new cogeneration plant in REO Town.
Tuesday afternoon, construction workers and others stopped to mark the “topping out” of the structure. That’s the completion of the building’s highest part.
The utility’s General Manager Peter Lark says a ceremonial white girder was signed by BWL officials and construction workers.
"Definitely from inside the plant, workers will be able to see all the signatures up there,” he says.
The utility expects a 50% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions once the natural-gas facility begins operation. The 182-million dollar structure is scheduled to open in July of 2013.