Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Mon February 1, 2010
Lansing PTAs ramp up social media
By Mark Bashore, WKAR
LANSING, MI –
Lansing parent teacher groups are ramping up their use of social media to link others to their activities. Officers say three Lansing PTA chapters have created Facebook pages this school year. They expect another half-dozen within days.
John Hall is President of the Lansing Schools' District-Wide Advisory Council. He says social media offers access to constructive ideas from far beyond the area.
"Lansing's problems are not Lansing's problems uniquely," he says. "Everybody's having trouble getting parent involvement in their school districts. I don't have all the answers, I do have a lot of the questions though. And somebody in Tennessee can answer my question, somebody in Traverse City can answer my questions. I can answer the question of somebody in Fort Collins, Colorado."
Lansing administrators say a lack of parental involvement is one of the district's biggest problems.