Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
Thu January 24, 2013
Jobless Claims Hold At Five-Year Low
The number of first-time claims for unemployment insurance dipped by 5,000 last week from the week before, to 330,000, the Employment and Training Administration reports.
That means claims remain at a low level not seen since January 2008.
Another measure, the "4-week moving average" that is supposed to give a broader look at the trend, declined by 8,250 — to 351,750.
Bloomberg News cautions that the claims figures may be affected by "challenges in adjusting the data for swings at the start of a year."