Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Tue July 7, 2009
Jacobs' HR in 9th lifts Royals to 4-3 win over Tigers
DETROIT – DETROIT (AP) - Mike Jacobs hit a go-ahead solo homer in the ninth and closer Joakim Soria held on, giving the Kansas City Royals a 4-3 win over the Detroit Tigers on Monday night.
Willie Bloomquist drove in three runs for the Royals, connecting on a home run in the sixth and a two-run triple in the eighth.
Detroit's Ryan Raburn homered in the sixth and had an RBI double in the eighth, making it 3-all.
Jacobs broke the tie with a shot to right off Fernando Rodney (0-2), who entered in the ninth after Joel Zumaya allowed Bloomquist to put Kansas City ahead.
Roman Colon (1-0) earned his first win since 2006, when he was pitching for Detroit, and Soria saved his 13th game in 15 chances.