Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Tue June 23, 2009
Holland: Chelios not returning to Wings in 2009-10
DETROIT – Chris Chelios won't be with the Detroit Red Wings next season.
Wings general manager Ken Holland tells The Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press he met with the 47-year-old and Chelios wouldn't be offered another contract.
The Associated Press left a message for Holland seeking comment.
Holland tells the News it was "kind of understood last summer" when Chelios signed a one-year deal that it would be his last.
Holland says Chelios wants to play another season and believes the veteran player can still play.
Detroit signed Chelios in 1999, and Holland calls him "just a perfect role model for young players."
He had no points and a plus-1 rating in 28 games this season.